Hospitality Volunteers Needed
Our Mission: To provide legal assistance, information and support to people who would not otherwise have access to such services.
Overview: The Hospitality Volunteers will be responsible for greeting people as they enter CLG’s office and helping them feel welcome, as well as assisting the Receptionist with monitoring for occupancy and equipment sterilizing (as per Covid-19 guidelines).
Supervision and Support: This volunteer position will work under the supervision and support of the Receptionist. A CLG Orientation and volunteer position overview will be provided by the Volunteer Manager and additional training and support are also available as requested.
• Greet and welcome people as they walk in CLG office
• Provide hand sanitizer and directions to everyone entering
• Monitor and balance the number of people in reception area to help ensure capacity requirements.
• Offer snacks, water, coffee, or tea to guests in waiting room
• Sanitize chairs and children’s play area after each use (spray sanitizer, gloves, and any additional PPE will be provided)
• Record your volunteer time in Better impact, the organization’s volunteer data base.
Expected hours: Shifts run Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 10:00 am; 10:00am to 11:00am; 11:00am-noon; and 1:00 to 2:00pm; and 2:00 pm to 3:00pm. Volunteers are welcome to take more than 1 shift/day. A minimum of two 1-hour shifts per month is expected.
Helpful Characteristics and Skills:
• Friendly, welcoming personality
• Comfortable approaching and talking to others
• Committed to helping people in need
• Ability to commit to a minimum of 2 hours/month
• Comfortable being in service to people who may be vulnerable or in distress. Past work or volunteer experience with vulnerable populations is considered an asset but not necessary. *Training and support will be available.
• Anticipated Start Date – April 2021. This is an ongoing volunteer position and may lead to additional opportunities.
• Satisfaction in knowing you’ve played a role in helping vulnerable people access important resources and support for justice.
• Being part of the fun and friendly CLG team
• Becoming a member of the CLG society with opportunity to become a Voting Member and to participate in additional volunteer roles such as committees, the Board; and events including the Annual General Meeting and many volunteer appreciation events.
Email Kim today for more information.
Volunteer Lawyers Wanted
Volunteer lawyers are a crucial part of our volunteer base. There are many opportunities to get involved in our legal clinics, pro bono projects, research, and other initiatives. No specific area of expertise is required to volunteer at CLG. We ensure that all lawyers have the resources, training, and support to provide the information and advice that our clients need. This applies to lawyers at big firms, in solo practice, working in-house, or anything in between. All are welcome! The only requirements for volunteering are a commitment to help individuals and membership in the Law Society of Alberta.
Volunteer Lawyer Positions
CLG Volunteer lawyers continue to provide legal advice and information during our office closure. We are offering callers 45 minute appointments either by phone or online. We are looking for volunteers to assist on numerous legal issues including:
- Landlord & Tenant
- Immigration & Estate Law
We are seeing an increase in callers this month and looking for more help from the legal community. If you are a lawyer, and have time to provide legal advice and information to our low-income community members, please contact our Volunteer Manager Kim for more information.
With income supports and temporary mortgage deferrals tapering off and expiring this fall, the economic fallout of Covid-19 will create an enormous wave of secured and unsecured consumer debt defaults and foreclosures. Calgary Legal Guidance, Pro Bono Law Alberta and the UofC Public Interest Law Clinic are looking for retired judges and lawyers interested in volunteering to provide virtual advice to Albertans dealing with debt. Email Kim for more information.
At our last AGM held on Oct 8, 2020, the following volunteers were acknowledged for their years of service to CLG. Thank you!
Catherine Fox Q.C.
20 years 15 years 10 years
Jeff Brunner Paul Allyjan Max Blitt
Mike Hokanson Alison Gray Calum Bruce
Ron Robinson Zureen Kazmi Gary Kirk
Kathryn Tweedie Anne McVea
Abisola Adesanya Ashley Aplin Stephanie Autio
Abram Averbach Tom Booth Alexander Brown
Melissa Burkett Juliana Cliplef Jasmine Ding
Telmo Dos Santo Melanie Gaston Aaron Grach
Sharagim Habibi Zao Han Pui Hong
Maria Lavelle Ben Leung Kenneth Ludwick
Marc Massie Michael Meredith David Miksha
Kamila Nawrocka Julianne Osberg Melissa Pearson
Nancy Randhawa Nicole Rybak Brendan Sawatsky
Allison Sears Jae Shim Keith Wu
Uzo Aghaegbuna Sania Chaudhry Amit Chowdhury
Brittany Doucet Kaila Eadie Jenna Graham
Garrett Horvath Susan Karpa Mitali Kaul
Sam Khajeei Christina Lam Sandy Le
Dana Martin Greg McMeekin Terry Meyers
Carolyn Mills Alya Nazarali Elaine Ng
Edos Omorotionmwan Sadaf Raja Brandon Rasula
Martin Rejman Nicole Rodych Emma Saunders
Dan Sears Charlotte Stokes Elaine Sun
Erin Townley Ashley Wilson Lucinda Wong