Calgary Legal Guidance (CLG) is a charitable society established in 1972 to provide legal advice and assistance to low-income people in Calgary and area with family, criminal, immigration, civil, and other poverty law matters that are not covered by Legal Aid. Thousands of clients are assisted each year through evening clinics staffed by volunteer lawyers, with follow-up help and representation provided by the senior staff counsel, program lawyers, pro bono lawyers, articling students and, during the summer months, law students. CLG offers specific programs in the areas of family law/domestic violence, homelessness, seniors’ issues, social benefits, and immigration.
Reporting directly to the Elder Law Program Lawyer, this position provides legal and general administrative support to the Elder Law Program. The position maintains contact and interacts with clients, other CLG employees, volunteers and various external organizations.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Serve as the primary contact for the Elder Law Program; this includes conversing with potential clients, existing clients, family members, support workers, medical professionals, and anyone else who may phone, email and/or drop by the CLG office
- Assess potential clients for eligibility and suitability for services using CLG’s income and asset guidelines and guidelines specific to the Elder Law Program
- Make referrals to other CLG programs or other agencies as appropriate
- Complete client intakes, create client profiles and open new client files
- Schedule client appointments with the Elder Law Program Lawyer, students-at-law, volunteer lawyers
- Prepare, review and proofread legal documents (wills, enduring powers of attorney, and personal directives) and correspondence for accuracy
- Witness will signings and commission affidavits of witness; commission other affidavits and statutory declarations, as required
- Provide administrative support with printing, copying, faxing, scanning, and file management
- Maintain filing systems for ongoing files, closed files, and original documents
- Record program statistics, client survey data, and volunteer hours
- Serve as primary contact for administrative and legal volunteers in the Elder Law Program
- Support and train administrative volunteers for Elder Law outreach clinics
- Other administrative support as required
successful candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- Legal Assistant Certificate or Diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution
- Minimum of 2 years as a legal assistant, with experience in the areas of wills and estates and advance care planning
- Commissioner for Oaths appointment
- An equivalent combination of post-secondary education and experience may be considered
- Knowledge of wills, estates, powers of attorney, personal directives, and adult guardianship and trusteeship
- Ability to work with and manage clients in vulnerable and crisis situations
- Proficiency in Windows-based software and other standard office technology
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Proficiency with project management and setting up effective office systems
- Experience with Practice Panther or other client management software is considered an asset
- Ability to problem solve and work independently by identifying objectives and setting priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships internally and externally
- Able to express ideas clearly and effectively, oral and written
- Exceptional attention to detail to ensure assignments are completed with accuracy
- Excellent word-processing and proof-reading skills
- Committed to promoting a safe work environment for self and others
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Approachable, friendly and professional
What we Offer
Calgary Legal Guidance (CLG) is proud of our fun, diverse, professional, and energetic workplace culture. We offer a healthy and positive career-life balance that values the contribution of all staff, an on-site gym, weekly in-house yoga classes and your birthday day off! We invite all qualified candidates to apply.
Please forward your resume and cover letter as a single PDF document by noon on Friday, December 13th, 2019; to the attention of Cameron Ferbey CPA CA, Director of Finance & Operations via email at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.