We are looking for volunteers from the community at large to act a Hospitality Greeters at our downtown office location, once the COVID restrictions have been lifted. Check out the information below for more details.
Email Kim today for more information
To provide legal assistance, information and support to people who would not otherwise have access to such services.
The Hospitality Volunteers will be responsible for greeting people as they enter CLG’s office and helping them feel welcome, as well as assisting the Receptionist with monitoring for occupancy and equipment sterilizing (as per Covid-19 guidelines).
Supervision and Support
This volunteer position will work under the supervision and support of the Receptionist. A CLG Orientation and volunteer position overview will be provided by the Volunteer Manager and additional training and support are also available as requested.
• Greet and welcome people as they walk in CLG office
• Provide hand sanitizer and directions to everyone entering
• Monitor and balance the number of people in reception area to help ensure capacity requirements.
• Offer snacks, water, coffee, or tea to guests in waiting room
• Sanitize chairs and children’s play area after each use (spray sanitizer, gloves, and any additional PPE will be provided)
• Record your volunteer time in Better impact, the organization’s volunteer data base.
Shifts run Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 10:00 am; 10:00am to 11:00am; 11:00am-noon; and 1:00 to 2:00pm; and 2:00 pm to 3:00pm. Volunteers are welcome to take more than 1 shift/day. A minimum of two 1-hour shifts per month is expected.
Helpful Characteristics and Skills
• Friendly, welcoming personality
• Comfortable approaching and talking to others
• Committed to helping people in need
• Ability to commit to a minimum of 2 hours/month
• Comfortable being in service to people who may be vulnerable or in distress. Past work or volunteer experience with vulnerable populations is considered an asset but not necessary. *Training and support will be available.
• Anticipated Start Date – April 2021. This is an ongoing volunteer position and may lead to additional opportunities.
• Satisfaction in knowing you’ve played a role in helping vulnerable people access important resources and support for justice.
• Being part of the fun and friendly CLG team
• Becoming a member of the CLG society with opportunity to become a Voting Member and to participate in additional volunteer roles such as committees, the Board; and events including the Annual General Meeting and many volunteer appreciation events.
Volunteer lawyers are a crucial part of our volunteer base. There are many opportunities to get involved in our legal clinics, pro bono projects, research, and other initiatives. No specific area of expertise is required to volunteer at CLG. We ensure that all lawyers have the resources, training, and support to provide the information and advice that our clients need. This applies to lawyers at big firms, in solo practice, working in-house, or anything in between. All are welcome! The only requirements for volunteering are a commitment to help individuals and membership in the Law Society of Alberta.
CLG Volunteer lawyers continue to provide legal advice and information during our office closure. We are offering callers 45 minute appointments either by phone or online. We are looking for volunteers to assist on numerous legal issues including:
Volunteer Lawyers for our free Legal Advice Clinic. Must be an active (or Active for Pro Bono) member of the Alberta Law Society. Able to commit to a minimum of one 2 hour shift per month either in person or remotely by phone or online meeting. Provide free legal advice and information to low income individuals.
Volunteer Lawyers for Public Legal Information. Provide zoom presentations to community members in a variety of areas of the law. Provide training to partner agency staff in areas of the law so they can better serve their clients.